What if there was a process for creating engaging and compelling sermons without the stress, worry, or isolation that normally comes with it?
Join Backstory Preaching Founder Rev. Lisa Cressman for Sermon Camp 2021. MAY 24 – JUNE 30, 2021 | LIVE ONLINE
For many of us, sitting down to write a sermon can feel overwhelming. Whether it’s making the time or finding fresh inspiration, it’s no wonder the process causes so much anxiety. We call it the Good News, but too often it feels like breaking news—the kind that’s rushed, out-of-context, and delivered at the last minute. Now is the time to change that.
In the past, the cost of attending Sermon Camp has been $299—an incredible value! This year, however, is even better. Thanks to a generous grant from the Lilly Foundation, we’re able to offer Sermon Camp 2021 free-of-charge. Here’s what you need to know about applying:
This year, 150 students will be selected based on a short, 200-word essay. The topic is straightforward: Why do you hope to be considered for this opportunity?
What you'll learn
- A powerful, 4-stage framework for creating more effective sermons
- What a “Hope Statement” is and how it will help you lead your congregation to experience profound life changes
- How to use a proven 5-day plan to research, write, and revise your sermon so it’s done by Friday every week
- Ways to clarify your thinking so your sermon is as clear and compelling as possible
- Why starting with “The End” is often the best way to write your sermon
- The three most effective methods for keeping your congregation fully engaged with your message
CONNECT WITH GOD
Sermon preparation isn’t just about finding the right words or relevant examples. What doesn’t change you isn’t likely to change your congregation—but when your own heart and mind are renewed, you’re able to share that renewal with the members of your faith community.
What's Included in Sermon Camp
10 Hours of Live Virtual Classes
Enjoy the conveience of being able to join us from anywhere in the world! Join live, or catch up later.
The Complete "Craft an Effective Sermon by Friday" Video Course
We'll go chapter-by-chapter through Lisa's sermon-prep practice, but you'll also enjoy on-demand access to her checklists, infographics, and examples you can model for your own sermons
Conversations in an Exclusive Online Community with Peers and Mentors
Ask questions, discuss course topics, and form long-lasting relationships with peers. Plus, you'll be assigned a mentor who will walk with you every step of the way.
Assignments to Apply Your Learning
Real-world practice so that you can finish Sermon Camp with sharpened skills you can use in your ministry immediately.
Sermon Camp Schedule
All sessions are recorded in case you can't make it.
- KICKOFF WEEK: Meet daily May 24-28 2021 (times TBD)
- WEEKLY CAMP: Meet weekly May 31-July 1, 2021 (various times will be offered)
Meet the Instructor
The Rev. Dr. Lisa Cressman is the founder of Backstory Preaching, as well as the author of several books and courses, including Craft an Effective Sermon by Friday and The Gospel People Don’t Want to Hear: Preaching Challenging Messages. Lisa earned her M.Div. from the Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley, CA and a D.Min. in Practical Theology from Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, IN. With more than 25 years as an Epicopal priest, preacher, spiritual director, and retreat leader, Lisa shares her passion and purpose for delivering the Good News with people all around the world.
Apply to Join Sermon Camp 2021—FOR FREE!
- 10 Hours of Live Virtual Classes
- The Complete “Craft an Effective Sermon by Friday” Video Course
- An Exclusive Online Community of Peers and Mentors
- Assignments to Apply What You Learn